Useful Information for Learners

Travel expenses? Bursaries? Look no further, the information is here.

Young people aged 16-18 may be entitled to claim a bursary to support them in their learning.

There are 2 types of bursary:

  1. Vunerable Bursary
    If you are in one of the groups below you can apply for a vunerable bursary.
    • in care
    • care leaver
    • in receipt of either Income Support or Universal Credit
    • in receipt of either Employment Support Allowance, Disability Living Allowance or Personal Independence Payments
    • the benefits mentioned above must be claimed in your own name
  2. Discretionary Bursary
    If you don’t fall into one of the vulnerable groups, but you need financial help to stay in education, you can apply for a discretionary bursary from your education institution. You must be between 16 and 19 years old and in full or part-time further education or training. Application form can be downloaded on the left or by clicking here.

All young people who attend our academy can have their travel reimbursed. The applications for bursary and travel reimbursement will all be explained at induction.

DBS (The Disclosure and Barring Service)
If you are looking to progress into a role which involves working with vulnerable people, such as health and social care and childcare. You will require a DBS check.

The Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) helps employers make safer recruitment decisions and prevent unsuitable people from working with vulnerable groups, including children. It replaces the Criminal Records Bureau (CRB) and Independent Safeguarding Authority (ISA).

If you would like to read more about this check you can visit the government website here.

We will pay for this and arrange the online application as well as support you throughout the process. Please download our DBS Document Guide to see the required evidence for us to process the DBS check.